Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Poor, neglected blog...

So.... I haven't been blogging here, obviously. I've been using Myspace and Facebook for updates, mostly. I want to get back into the homeschooling blogging though, just to have my own records that I can look back on. Its kind of neat to look back and see how much he's learned since I started this blog (er, 2 years ago). I could yet again mark off many of the things in the previous list. I think this time though, I'll come up with a list of things I'd like to cover in one way or another over the course of the next year. Some things are considered "pre-k" skills and some are "kindergarten" skills (according to various websites that I'm getting these ideas from), but we aren't really working towards any grade level in particular. This list is mostly just a way for me to keep up with all my ideas and I'll be adding to it as we go.

-Concept of big and small. (I think he gets this, but its hard to tell and we've only been working on it a short while.)
-Concept of long and short.
-Shapes besides circle and square (rectangle, triangle, etc.)
-Counting orally through 10 (he can count to 5, as far as I know)
-Concept of more, less, and same.
-Recognizing his first name. (this is hit or miss so far)
-Concept of in and out.
-Own age.
-Pasting objects.
-Care of pets. (I want to get a hamster... We'll see how that goes.)
-Care of indoor plants.
-Simple cooking measurements.
-Phonics. (He knows all the basic sounds so far.)
-Seasons.
-Holidays. (I have lots of things planned for Fall, Halloween, and Samhain!)

As far as curriculum goes, we are using More Starfall for phonics. That's the closest thing to a curriculum we are using right now... I had intended to delay academics altogether, but Bram decided he wanted to learn to read. LOL I am considering Ready, Set, Go for the code for phonics as well, but I'm not sure he's ready for the workbooks yet. I may just start with the activity chart and activity book. He's been telling us things like "A, apple" so I think he'd really like the chart. :)

No comments: