Thursday, June 19, 2008

Ideas are like pizza dough, made to be tossed around...

...except when the idea is making pizza sauce from canned tomato sauce. Bram and I made a pizza from scratch for dinner last night. I found the dough recipe online and I got the bright idea to make the sauce from some tomato sauce I already had on hand. The crust turned out YUMMEH. The sauce... not so much. It looks good though, right?

I added a bit of olive oil, herbs, and a tiny bit of salt. I let it simmer all damn afternoon, hoping that would bring out the flavor of the herbs more, but it was still WAY too tangy and...tomato-ish. >.<

Ah well. Bram had fun anyway. Here he is stirring the yeast.

And "taste testing".

I didn't get any pics of the dough in progress because Bram was kinda cranky at the time so I kinda forgot. But here is the finished product.

Luckily, he liked it (not quite as picky as Mommy).


Guess who's getting pizza for lunch for the next week?

5 comments:

Jen said...

Looks like fun! And yeah, that sauce does look good :) Sorry it didn't taste quite as good as it looks.

Anonymous said...

Aww.. he's such a cutie. I know you guys do special diet stuff and everything, so I'm not sure how you feel about sugar, but a little sugar or agave syrup or honey .. some kind of sweetener in the sauce takes away a little of the tang and really brings out the herb flavors. :)

Smiles,
Cat

Miriam said...

Great minds think alike! We have pizza on the menu for next week! Never thought about making sauce from tomato sauce. Probably easier than the tomatoes I bought. LOL

Victoria said...

It's so hard to get that tangy flavor out of canned tomatoes ... Along the lines of what Cat suggested, I usually add a teaspoon or so of sugar to my sauce and it never has too much 'tang' :)

TheAmbivalentEgotist said...

It looks yummy!

Great pics!